There are currently more than half a billion people worldwide who play computer or video games for at least an hour a day which may lead to Nintendo Neck.
What is Nintendo Neck? Most call it “text neck,” but it just refers to neck pain caused by looking down at video game screens, cell phones, and laptops for an extended period of time. The worst part is some may even slouch or hunch their shoulders while using electronics, which puts a great deal of stress on the spine.
Avoiding Nintendo Neck & The Killer Instinct ‘Chiropractor’
Posture plays an incredibly important role in our overall health because it affects muscle efficiency, breathing, mobility and injury prevention. When we have poor posture, our muscles have to work harder to hold our bodies up, and we increase our risk for musculoskeletal injury.
This is why “gaming posture”—which results from extended sitting in front of TV and computer consoles or leaning down to look at our cellphones for endless hours each day—does so much damage over time. Basically, the muscles on the front side of the body are shortened, while those on the back side of the body are lengthened and subsequently weakened. This means our muscles have to work harder to hold our bodies upright.
Here are some pointers that intranet gamification experts would agree on to reduce the possibility of Nintendo neck:
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- For neck treatment, stretch your neck and shoulders in all directions at least every hour if you are working on a computer all day.
- Be aware of posture, try to keep your neck over your shoulders and prevent slouching.
- A joint manipulation of shoulders, elbows, wrist and hands would help prevent Nintendo neck.
- Practice keeping your neck back and keeping your ears over your shoulders.
- Stand up against the wall and make snow angel wing movements to release your neck and upper back.
- A visit to your chiropractor. An ultra-sound therapy was speculated to be required for the most advanced symptoms together with a massage therapy can be used alongside chiropractic care to provide soft tissue therapy for overused muscle.
- Most importantly a chiropractic adjustment is the best way to affect the nervous system which controls everything.